Thursday, January 9, 2014

What's YOUR musical New Year's Resolution?


Happyyyyyyy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the big 2-0-1-4!!!!! What did everyone do for NYE??  Mine was awesome!!! A few girl friends and I went to this mansion up on Mount Washington that's known as the "Smart House."  Basically, this house is completely computerized.  It tints the windows with the click of a button, for example.  It was pretty cool!  We got a great view of the city, too.  I think Pittsburgh is so beautiful, and filled with many beautiful violin players (especially my students.)  ;)



Here's a pic of me from New Year's Eve!!!





So this post was actually something my mom does with my students that I thought was a clever idea.  In the beginning of January, she asks them what their "Musical New Year's Resolution" is.  I think it's important to always have goals; never get too comfortable!!!!! Until you're a professional...and even then, only get semi-comfortable. 




Your musical New Year's resolution does not necessarily have to be "I want to play this piece by this time."  Of course it can be, if that's what you want.  It's your resolution, so it's up to you. 

Let me give you some other ideas:

-I want to have better posture. 

-I want to perfect my vibrato. 

-I want to become comfortable with third position.

-I want to get accepted into an orchestra. 

-I want to memorize a certain piece(s).

-I want to visit the symphony more often.

-I want to become more comfortable playing in front of people. (Aka-you want to take advantage of performance opportunities more.)

-I want to compose my own piece.

-I want to never miss a single lesson. 

-I want to learn a second instrument.

-I want to get through the entire book by the time the year's over. (whatever book you're in.)

-I want to read Givi Girl's blog on a regular basis. ;) ;) ;)

Catch my drift?  


Once you choose your musical New Year's resolution, write it down and stick it somewhere you'll often see.  Maybe your refrigerator, for example?  You can obviously do this with your "non-musical New Year's resolutions" as well.  This will reinforce you to stick with it!!!!!!!! Don't start slacking around March...imagine how satisfied you'll feel once you've achieved your goal!!!!!! 


Note: Don't set a goal that is too far of reach.  Aim high, but make it something that's actually attainable.  Don't go overboard!!!!!! There's always future "New Year's Resolution" opportunities. 



This is YOUR year!!!!!!!!!!! Make it count!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Til next time
~Givi Girl















No comments:

Post a Comment