Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Be nice to your teacher



So it's almost Christmas...in fact it's Christmas Eve-Eve! I have no idea how Christmas snuck up so quickly this year.  They say the older you get, the more time flies...but come on...I'm 25...if I can't keep up now, I'm pretty much screwed.  I found out tomorrow was Christmas eve when the church I play for every year called me.  We discussed the music, rehearsal time, mass time, etc...then I said "See you in a few days" and they corrected me and said "You mean, see you tomorrow?"  ...uhhh sure, that's what I meant.  Ugh.  



So I was one of those crazy people fighting traffic today running around trying to snag some last minute gifts.  I had some good luck though!!! A ton of stores at the mall had 50% off EVERYTHING!  Let's just say I'll get the best sister of the year award once Christmas comes and goes...and I will rip off the red part where it shows the reduced price so my brothers think I spent the full amount.  Good thing they don't read my blog!!!!! Ha-ha-ha (evil laugh.)


Anyways...

Being that it's the holiday season and all...most people, I assume, are in the mood to simply be kind to one another (then again, if you were driving in Robinson Town Center today, you'd probably beg to differ...but just hear me out):

The point of this post is quite simple, really.  To put it as straight forwardly as possible:  It's really important to be kind to your teacher. Not just your private music teacher, but any teacher for that matter.  There are countless reasons why I emphasize this!  For example, in college, if I'm teeter-tottering between an A and a B (which I have countless, previous times,) I swear...the fact that I was always so respectful to my professors is what got me the "A" in the end.  

I understand that with private music lessons, such as in my case with me being a private violin instructor, one could argue that it's not that important to be overly kind to your teacher.  You might think, "Sure, it's nice to be friendly...but how does it benefit me to be nice to someone not giving me a grade?"  Here's why:

If you are a sweet student, your instructor will have your back.  It's really as plain and simple as that.  Let me give you an example:

I had two full-sized violins in my possession...both of which were Stradivarius imitations.  They were being sold for an amazing deal, and their sound  quality was absolutely incredible. What type of student do you think I'd want to let know about this awesome deal? A sweet student with a good attitude or a student with a poor attitude?

Another example:  I have different opportunities throughout the year to include my students in different functions that benefit them greatly as violinists.  For example...a restaurant asked me to play for their work Christmas party. I decided to invite a student to play a few Christmas duets along with me to give them a taste of what it's like playing in the "real world."  Afterwards, we enjoyed a complimentary buffet and received free gifts.  I did not invite the student of mine with the most talent...I invited the one with good talent, but an even better attitude. That day, alone, made that person a better violinist.  It was fun, too!

Yet another example:  It's pretty much a guarantee your instructor knows people who knows people.  They might know a judge in an orchestra.  They might know the dean of a university you're applying to. Politics is everywhere, unfortunately, and in the music world that is no exception.  Most of it is about talent, but it's also about who you know and the connections you make.  As long as you're respectful and kind to everyone who comes your way, you'll be fine.  

The list of "examples" is endless.  

If you're a kind and respectful student, then your teacher...if they have any ounce of a soul and care about what they do...will be willing to bend over backwards in your favor. Trust me.  I will go out of my way for any student as long as they are kind and have a positive attitude.  

I will get into the teacher-student relationship in much further detail in the near future...but in the interim, trust me when I say this: It is worth it for yourself to simply be nice.  Be pleasant! Have a good attitude during your lessons.  Have a good attitude OUTSIDE of your lessons...because believe me, many times, your words, actions, (or lack there-of actions,) come back around.  Don't gossip.  

Always be kind to your instructor...it will only benefit YOU!  





Til next time,
~Givi Girl




No comments:

Post a Comment