Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Easing your nerves: Tip #4




 Hello all!

Normally yesterday I would do my daily routine which entails going to school in the evening.  Well, the heavens above responded to my request for it to be cancelled.  Originally I was planning on getting caught up on life...which I did at first...then I decided to go to the gun range.  It was my first time shooting a gun!!! I've always been pretty scared to be around guns, and it was pretty fun to get over that fear.  Ok, not "get over" it, but at least conquer it somehow.  Shooting a gun has been on my bucket list, and now I can scratch that off.  What should I do next?  Getting a pug has been on my bucket list...and my heart wants one NOW, but my mind is telling me to wait.  I am so busy, I'm not sure I have the time to take care of a pug.  However, I'm the type of person that when something is in my mind, I don't like to sit around and wait for it to happen.  I like to make it happen. Mostly because I'm impatient.  That's definitely a trait in my family that we all lack.  Well, except for Jerome...my youngest brother.  Incase you need to match a name to a face, here he is: 






Not only is he patient, he's the nicest kid in the world.  He also is a superb pianist, the captain of his HS soccer team, and a high honors student.  Great kid!  


I've been busy stressing out (I mean figuring out) where my recital venue will be this year.  It seems like hit and miss.  All of the places I like are either too expensive,  unavailable, or too far away.  To be honest, I lose money out of my own pocket on recital days.  I really want that day to be special for my students, so I hire various musicians to join us.  Well, they aren't cheap. Last year I charged a recital fee, but after all was said and done (venue costs, film crew, musicians, food, awards, photos, etc.)  I was still easily out $200 or so.  This year I'd be thrilled if I could at least break even, so I'm trying to find somewhere to make that possible.  However, this day is for my students, not me, so if I end up spending some money, well....so be it. 


Ok...enough chatting...let's get down to business:

Your tip #4 for conquering nerves is to perform more often!!!!!

The more you perform, the more you'll get used to it.
 
Every couple of months, I provide performance opportunities to my students. 

Anything could seem scary and impossible at first, and performing in front of people is no exception!

Take advantage of the situation if you are given the chance to play in front of people.  Even if you start off as small as performing for guests in your house (See "Throw a private recital" blog entry), that will still help.  

 If you do this, I can promise you that performing will go from very scary to enjoyable!  

 
Church festival











Formal recital





 





 
Nursing home recital





Til next time
~Givi Girl







No comments:

Post a Comment