Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dissecting quotes

Hello hello!

So this blog post was written half at 2 am, and I'm finishing it up now.  I taught in WV yesterday, then around 4, decided to take a much needed nap. Well, that nap lasted 8 hours.  I woke up for a couple hours and figured I'd make the best of the time...and what better way to do that then writing a blog entry.  I have a quote app on my phone, so each day I check out a new quote.  I save the ones that are my favorites.  Here are a few...every once in awhile I'll add more "dissecting quotes" entries.  

Which quote is your favorite?










"Motivation is what gets you started.  Habit is what keeps you going."
                                                           ~Jim Ryun

It's easy to say "I want to play violin!!!!!"  But the true violinists are the ones who are capable of turning the practicing into a consistent habit.  








"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
                                                            ~Lao Tzu

Learning an instrument is a bunch of baby steps, one step at a time.  You must be patient and consistent.  Before you know it, you'll have a "thousand baby steps" under your belt, and what was difficult before will become easy.  Just keep going forward!!!!! It won't always be easy, but don't give up.
















"Don't let fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it.  The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
                                                ~Earl Nightingale
Don't let the fear of a difficult exercise, "scary performance," difficult piece, etc. stop you.  If you are presented a situation from your teacher, obviously they feel it is not above what you're capable of. As Nightingale says, "that time will pass anyways."  Imagine what a better feeling it would be to look back on that time and have one more achievement under your belt rather than another "I can't do that" statement!! YES YOU CAN!





"Self-trust is the first secret of success."
                                        ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
It might sound cliche, but unless it's something that's ridiculously and patently beyond your aptitude, (like climbing Mt. Everest in an hour,) you can do it.  This is similar to what I just previously said:  your instructor won't give you something you can't do.  TRUST yourself.  Be on your own team.  

















"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                         ~Aesop
Please check out "Be nice to your teacher' blog post.  


















"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                                          ~Wayne Gretzky
I really respect my adult students who sign up for violin lessons.  They had the desire to take violin most of their lives, and now, they are going for it!!!! And doing it!!!! It's easy to say "I wish I could play."  Instead of wishing, do it.  I'll expand more on this soon.  (*New blog post idea just came to mind! Stay tuned!)














That's all for now, folks!


Til next time
~Givi Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment