Saturday, May 18, 2013

You'll always have violin to play your entire life...can you say that about everything?

In this day and age...many kids are so involved in multiple activities.  The top two that come to my mind are sports and dancing, both of which I did as a child.  I've done it all: ice-skating, soccer, softball, ballet, tap, jazz, Spanish dancing, swimming lessons, tennis lessons...you name it, I've done it.  At one point, I went to dance class five days a week!

All of these extracurricular activities were very beneficial and taught me a great deal about teamwork, practicing to achieve a goal, enhancing skills, etc.  I will never regret all of the activities I've done and I'm grateful I got a taste of it all!

So, in this article, I'm not taking away anything from being involved in these things. However, I do want to make a point: once I hit college, I didn't continue any of them.  In most colleges you have to be a top notch sports player or dancer to continue it in the school.  I would guess 99% of kids who are involved in these things will not be the next Michael Jordan or the next prima ballerina.

Now, the same could be said about violin: maybe you won't become a music major.  Perhaps you just took on the violin for another skill to add to your list.  That's fine!  However, YOU'LL ALWAYS be able to pick up your violin and play it, no matter how old you get.  You will always have the option to perform for family or friends as well.  Can you say that about soccer? Or even dance?





It's important to think about the big picture.  After it's all said and done, the violin (or whatever musical instrument you play) will always be there for you.  With that said, don't let other activities take over your music lessons.  It's not worth the sacrifice.     

And hey...maybe you will be the next Michael Jordan.  But you'd STILL have the violin to play your entire life!  What if Michael Jordan could play the violin or piano? Wouldn't that be neat.  Think twice before quitting.  Remember, long term, you'll be happy you stuck it out!!!!!


~Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment