Monday, May 27, 2013

Expect the unexpected because it's inevitable.





Not everything will always go according to plan.

Playing an instrument is a journey from the moment you pick the instrument up until the last note you’ll ever play.  Keep the word “journey” in mind.  It’s like everyday life:  although you can make plans ahead of time, not everything will always go according to plan no matter how organized and responsible you are. 

You don’t expect the weather to be a thunderstorm the same day  the weather man tells you there’s not going to be a cloud in the sky.  You don’t expect the car accident a half a mile up the street will delay traffic by a half an hour.  You don’t expect to get food poisoning after going to your favorite fast food restaurant that you’ve been to 100 times previously. 

 Sometimes situations beyond your control occur in a way you didn’t foresee and there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it.  Ultimately, rolling with life’s punches makes you a stronger person and each time life throws you for a loop, you’ll get better at handling it. I think that’s where the expression “older and wiser” comes in.  As you grow older, every day you have more life experience under your belt than you did the day before, and that shapes who you become.  Do you notice a lot of times when people are older (such as grandparents) they tend to not worry about little things that we worry about so much?  They are overall more content, mellow, and confident.  Now, of course I can’t stereotype all elderly people; we all know the cranky old man who lives down the street.


Perhaps my theory is incorrect.  Who knows.  I think you understand what I’m trying to say though. 

With the journey of the violin, I've had to face the same hurdles.  It’s inevitable.  The trick is to figure out how to deal with it and then focus on the silver lining of the situation!   I know it's easier said than done, and it might not make complete sense at the moment, but in the big picture, it won't be a big deal.  I promise.  In the interim, find that silver lining because IT IS THERE.  But only YOU can find it.  

 

There will be different judges for different auditions.  One might think the world of your playing and another might be more focused on what you lack.  This goes for everyone INCLUDING professionals.  When I went to see Sarah Chang perform I thought the concert was great. Her playing is absolutely beautiful, and if you don't believe me, see for yourself:

   

Told you!


Anyways, a couple weeks after the concert, I read an article negatively critiquing her playing during that tour.  I was shocked.  Even Sarah Chang has to face criticism!  It happens to the best of us.  Take a look at those singing competition shows such as X Factor (I know I reference that show often, but it works with a lot of my posts): There are MANY times judges completely disagree with each other in terms of who sang well and who didn't.  THE SAME GOES WITH VIOLIN OR WHATEVER INSTRUMENT YOU PLAY.  YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE. EVER. EVER. EVER. 

You should aim high but always be prepared for something unexpected to happen.  You might not get the seat in the orchestra you were positive you were going to get, but hey: next year when you do get that seat you'll appreciate it that much more!  If it were easy, everyone would be able to get it.  There's no better feeling than achieving a good challenge, even if it's a year later.  

 You might think your audition went well only to find out your score was mediocre.  So, you'll learn what you lack and focus on it.  Or maybe the seat you land in the orchestra from that audition will give you a lifelong friend you met as stand partners.  You just never know. 

This has happened to me plenty of times: I would prepare for my recital performances and nerves would get the best of me which interfered with my playing.  Then I'd scratch, squeak, and my hands would sweat and shake during my piece.  




Now I can say I've gotten over that stage fright (for the most part...it definitely still kicks in now and then. )  If I haven't gone through that, I wouldn't be the confident player I'd like to say I am today.  That's helped me in other areas of my life, too, such as public speaking.

Not all scenarios  are that serious.  True story: In an orchestra I was in, while we were in the middle of a piece, the conductor puked everywhere! And let’s just say it wasn’t pretty.  Being fortunate enough to land the concertmaster role at the time, I really didn’t know what to do...a bunch of options were running through my mind.  Should I stop playing? Should I get up and conduct? Should I pinch myself to make sure this isn't some weird, twisted dream?  Should I point and laugh at his face? (Just kidding on the last one...I wouldn't consider that!  I'm not that mean...)

I decided to just continue playing.  I played extra loud when it was happening so the orchestra would follow my lead and just keep going.  I guess you could say I took "the show must go on" approach. A minute later the orchestra assistant came and conducted the rest of the piece as our conductor went offstage (and probably went directly to his car and drove far, far away).  

Thankfully, I dodged the puke.  I was about 5 inches clear of it.  Thank God.  Silver lining? Now I have a hilarious memory that I'll never forget.  And if the situation ever happens again, I'll be ready for it.  Haha.  I'm sure it won't.  

 As for the silver lining for the conductor? (After all, he's going through his own musical journey.)  He knows after that nothing he ever does will be as embarrassing for him as that day.  I don't even need to know what else he's done in his life because nothing could top that.  It was bad. Really bad. And I'm pretty sure he learned a lesson: don't risk conducting a concert in front of hundreds of people when you have stomach issues.  Ever. Again. Ick. 


~Regina



No comments:

Post a Comment