Thursday, June 20, 2013

Participate in music camps




This entry goes along with the one titled "Don't be a fool...use the summer time wisely."

I was involved in a couple different music camps growing up.  My favorite was at Fredonia String Camp, which was located at Fredonia University. I've gone back to that camp for 4 years!  It was a one week, overnight, string camp.  The camp involved playing in one of three orchestras (depending on your playing level), chamber music playing, concerts, a talent show, technique classes, theory classes, and more.  They made it really fun because it was more social than anything.  I have some of the fondest memories of my "musical journey" that took place at Fredonia String Camp, and I acquired sooooo much knowledge with that experience.  To this day I continue to use concepts I learned from that camp during my practicing.  It also allowed me to develop a sense of independence (staying away from my parents for a week, for example), and other everyday life lessons.

During the camp, I was fortunate enough to meet many other musicians-some professional, our counselors, and other "campers" of course.  I participated in this string camp while I was in middle school, and being that it was located in a college campus, I got a taste of what college life was like.  It was very similar: we stayed in a dorm room with a roommate, ate at the cafeteria, went to different campus buildings for our daily schedule, etc.  It was so cool to be exposed to so many concerts, and they did not only consist of classical music, but all types.

This was also one of the first experiences I had playing in a chamber group.  I loved it and I'll never forget the amazing bond my group and I formed.  To this day, I still remember the piece we played one year.

If you are a student who is fortunate enough to have the opportunity to participate in any sort of music camp-take it.  I can honestly say I left the camp every year a better player (and performer) than I did going into it.  Just go for it and have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!




~Regina




PS-You don't have to be extraordinarily gifted to participate in any of these types of camps. These programs will always place you in the correct playing level groups, and if they make a mistake, they will adjust it immediately.  If you are a beginner or don't feel you possess outstanding playing ability it's OK. You'll have such a great time and I'd hate for you to miss out due to unnecessary fear!! If you have anymore questions about music camps feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment