Friday, August 29, 2014

Bad Habits

Hey hey.

It's back to school time!!!! Personally, I'm relieved, because summer can be a little vexatious after awhile.     A lot of my students go on vacations and such, which cause conflicts for lesson scheduling and it all turns into one big headache.  No more of that for me!!!!!!! 
'
As far as seasons go, I love fall...especially here in Pittsburgh.  It's absolutely beautiful with all of the trees that you can see from far away on the hills.  I am especially looking forward to it since I reside in a location that is on the top of a hill in the woods. 

I'm going to name three bad habits to avoid while playing the violin.  I'll keep them coming, because there is obviously way more than three.  They'll be pretty brief:
1.) Don't dodge the 4th finger markings by playing on it with an open string instead. The 4th finger is marked there for a reason.  99% of the time I'll agree with the bowings and/or fingerings the composer suggests.  Unless you're certain that it makes more sense for you to play an open string rather than the 4th, then "don't dodge the 4ths."  






2.)  Don't place your fingers in the general ballpark, otherwise they will be the wrong note from the note you intended to play.  People say the violin is the hardest instrument since your fingers have to be precisely accurate down to the correct millimeter, otherwise it's the wrong note.  I don't think the violin is the "hardest instrument to learn," per say, but it is true that the fingers must be precise.  Especially focus on this during scales and other warm-up exercises.  Also, make sure you do not remove your tapes until you are entirely prepared to do so, otherwise you'll form very bad habits when it comes to intonation.


3.)  Don't sit with your legs crossed.  I know it might feel comfortable, but you should sit with your feet on the ground, steadily, so you are able to balance.








That's all for now.  Now, off to my second home:  Volkwein's, the music store!

Til next time
~Givi Girl 



No comments:

Post a Comment