Sunday, October 20, 2013

Your family should always be there to support you

Whether it's a recital...a small gig...whatever...your family should be there to support you.  Not just internal family, but extended family as well.  Aunts, uncles, cousins, family, friends, etc.

A lot of family members might not have an interest or appreciation for music, or at least classical music, like you do.  They might not understand how much work it takes to learn how to play an instrument.  That's OKAY!  They don't have to.

 However, you put a lot of time and dedication of practicing, going to and from lessons, etc.  You deserve your own fan base.  Sure, it's fun to play for any audience: but if you're only playing for a bunch of strangers, then you're cheating yourself.  You are your family's superstar more than anyone else's.


When I was growing up, I lived in Buffalo and had so many different orchestra concerts.  My extended family (grandparents, cousins, aunt/uncle) all lived in Pittsburgh.  They drove to almost every single one-and one time they even spent hours in the car battling one of the worst blizzards on the way here.  Talk about dedication.  My aunt/uncle/cousins didn't care for orchestra music, but they cared for ME.  They were there for ME, and that's what's important.  When I was in rehearsals or lessons, it would motivate me so much to do my very best since I knew they were coming.  I wanted to get the very best seat in the orchestra.  I wanted to sound my very best for solo recitals.  Why?  BECAUSE MY FAMILY WAS COMING TO SEE ME!  Before I would play a single note, while I was playing, and after I was finished, I had one thing on my mind: that they were there watching me.  


My family is a big reason I was always motivated and always stuck with the violin and never quit.  I would have let them all down if I quit, and I'M SO GLAD I DIDN'T!  



Make it fun for them too. Once your performance is over, go out to eat!  Take pictures! Make a day or night out of it!




Your family is your support system.  They should make it a priority to be at your recitals to keep you encouraged.  If they haven't been to any of your past shows, they probably weren't invited!  Try inviting them to the next one!   They are your biggest fans-so it's important they show it.  

Also, remember:  You should support them at their events too, whether it's sports games, musicals, etc.  





Til next time,

~Givi Girl




No comments:

Post a Comment